Measure What Matters: Whose life is getting better because we are here?
We ask you to answer this question through metrics and stories. Our commitment is to make it easy for you to create measures that matter and motivate improvement in your community. Click here to start measuring!
How It Works:
- You measure what matters to improve the health of the people you are working with.
- We offer you simple but powerful tools to know whether you are making a difference–whether that be in affecting homelessness, food security, violence, or primary care transformation.
- We help you measure how your work contributes to overall health, wellbeing, equity, and sustainability.
Our emerging measurement approach focuses on 3 key areas:
1) Health and wellbeing – measured based on wellbeing (physical health, mental health, social wellbeing, and spiritual wellbeing) and life expectancy. These will have measurement strategies at the level of the individual/population, community, and society. Click here to view a presentation for more information.
2) Equity – is expected to include 1) difference in health and well-being across groups and 2) years of life gained.
3) Sustainability – (in development) will likely include the different kinds of factors that need to be sustainable at multiple levels, such as financial sustainability, ability to sustain the change process over time, and leadership, workforce sustainability.
Click here to access an instant download of the report on the framework, 100 Million Healthier Lives Measurement System: Progress to Date.
Implementing Metrics In Your Community
We have partnered with Community Commons, IP-3, and Seabourne to create an innovative, easy-to-use measurement tool that helps you build your community-specific measures and ties them to the common measures for 100 Million Healthier Lives! The Measure What Matters Platform provides tools to improve the health, wellbeing, and equity of people and places. You can create a plan, set an aim, measure your impact, and share your progress towards an audacious, shared goal of 100 million people living healthier lives by 2020. Click here to access the platform.
We are currently piloting the 7 question “Health and wellbeing questionnaire”in the SCALE communities. This is a simple, powerful tool based on people-reported outcomes about their health and wellbeing, which can give you real-time data about program impact. To learn more, contact [email protected].
- NCVHS Measurement Framework for Community Health and Well-Being by the National Committee on Vital and Health Statistics
- Measuring Health at the Community Level: Data Gaps and Opportunities by the National Committee on Vital and Health Statistics
- NCVHS Health & Vitality of Communities Indicators Environmental Scan by the National Committee on Vital and Health Statistics
- MeasureUp by Build Healthy Places Network
- Wellbeing in the Nation (WIN) Report
- NIH Patient-Reported Outcome Measures
- Metrics for Healthy Communities by Build Healthy Places Network
- Community Commons
- Community Toolbox
- Community Action Model (CAM) by Active Living By Design (ALBD)
- Culture of Health measures by Robert Wood Johnson Foundation
- Institute of Medicine Vital Signs
- Centers for Disease Control
- Metrics Measurement Framework Report, 100 Million Healthier Lives Measurement System: Progress to Date. Click here to access an instant download of the report.